Sculpture-making Process

For our sculpture, we had to create a part of our imaginary/impossible sculpture. Initially I struggle to find a practical way to interpret a part of my reversed tap sculpture. After a while I settled on making a sculpture that focused more on the water part of the sculpture.

I decided to create a group of varied sized water droplets and did this in plaster as I really enjoyed using this material in a workshop I had done that week. I also felt like plaster would be an interesting material to use with its relationship to water and the process it undertakes from a loose powder, a liquid and finally to this solid form.

To being making the sculpture I had to create an inner framework out of chicken wire. This was so that when I covered the sculpture in plaster bandages it wouldn’t collapse. I also had to add some styrofoam inside the sculpture in order to make it more solid as a piece.

After creating this inner framework, I then used the plaster bandage to cover the shape and create the sculpture.

img_2857

Once the bandages had fully dried, to try and give it a better finish, I covered the droplets in plaster. Using the plaster proved to be quite difficult due to the odd shape of the sculpture, so once it dried it did not really have the smooth finish that I initially wanted.

img_3031

Though they weren’t exactly perfect in their form, I still found that the results made them more interesting and ambiguous. In my past experiences making sculptures, I have always made very figurative sculptures and with the result of the sculptures being more ambiguous, I felt like this project could be a good opportunity to push myself out of my comfort zone and try to make a sculpture more focused on the concept. A sculpture where the initial interpretation can be varied and isn’t necessarily as obvious to the audience as the ones I have previously made. So I played around with different ways in which these sculptures could be presented that would play with it’s form and make it intriguing for an audience.


After experimenting, I decided that I would keep it relatively simple, with the 3 droplets leaning against one another on the floor. Though I considered hanging them, I liked the effect of having them on the floor as earthy elements and I also liked having an interaction with the piece where you can observe it by walking around it.

After sanding them down to have a slightly smoother, but still imperfect finish I also decided to cover one of the droplets in salt. I felt that the idea of a water droplet made out of salt, which is soluble in water was something which I thought was quite intriguing and brought in an understated element of the impossibility of the sculpture as a natural object. I also feel like the salt brings back the natural element of the initial source of the water, and this is further emphasised by the surrounding salt which almost serves as a subtle plinth. The salted water droplet was also placed on the side where the most light hit from the window in the room next door, the light effectively bringing attention to the sparkle of the salt crystals.

Overall, this project was definitely one that I struggled with. I found it quite difficult to work in a more abstract way and create a sculpture that had a more open interpretation to how I might have imagined the end result. However, once I saw the finished sculpture I was more happy with it than I thought I would. If I had to work on it further, I think I would perhaps had played around more with the other droplets or maybe have curated the piece as an installation could have made it more interesting.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s